Fresh Apple Dump Cake
8-10 apples, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 heaping teaspoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon butter
1 cake mix, dry (I used Duncan Hines Butter Golden cake mix)
1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted
2 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel, core and chop your apples. Place chopped apples into a 9x13 baking dish. Mix in sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook apples for 20 minutes. Apples will shrink and release juice.
2. Push apples back with large spoon and drain the juice from the baking dish (you could save the juice to make an *apple glaze if you like). Stir cornstarch and 1 Tablespoon of butter into cooked apples. Level out apples in pan.
3. Dump cake mix over top of the apples. Spread it out evenly.
4. Drizzle melted butter on top of the dry cake mix.
5. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top and bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Notes: If you would like to make an apple glaze, simply mix powdered sugar into reserved apple juice until you get the right consistency. I didn't make the glaze because I thought this dessert was already sweet enough.
Also, original recipe says to butter the baking dish before adding the chopped apples. I forgot, but I had no problem with anything sticking to the baking dish.